Just as America starts cooling down and settling into fall, we’re cranking up the heat (and humidity) for the hottest time of year. I don’t know about you, but I for one am so excited!! It’s like these past months have just been practice, but this, well this is the Big Game!
Here are some tips for the Big Game.
1. Recipe for chill solution. 3 cups water + 2 handfuls of ice. Shake or stir. Drink it (all) sitting in front of a fan set to high.
2. Hit the reset button. No matter how hot I get – even when I was super pregnant in hot season – there’s one thing that always works for ‘resetting’ me back to comfortable and less grumpy. Take a cold shower, then sit in front of a fan for at least ten minutes. Works like a charm, even if the ‘cold’ water coming from the tap is above 95 degrees or your ‘shower’ is of the bucket variety.
3. Make it three. Drink three liters of water a day. Minimum. This will help avoid dehydration and all its ugly symptoms, including headaches, nausea and fatigue.
4. Sleep well. Power cuts and mosquitoes only compound the challenge of sleeping well during hot season. Much like the reset button technique above, I’ve found that sleeping in an oversized, soaking wet t-shirt, preferably with a fan pointed right atcha, really helps. On the worst nights, you may need to re-wet the t-shirt a couple times, but that’s easy enough to do and well worth it for the sleep you’ll gain by being comfortable.
5. Recipe for iced heaven. 1 cup chilled, strong coffee + 2 spoonfuls powdered milk + 1/4 tsp almond extract + 1/4 tsp cinnamon + sugar to taste + 2 handfuls ice. Blender the heck out of it, pour into an insulated cup then drink with a straw.
So you can keep your football, ’cause here we play soccer year-round. Keep your sweaters and scarves. We’ve got long, airy skirts and sunglasses. And who needs those pumpkin spice lattes anyway? We’ve got frozen bissap, y’all.